Interview with Andrea Michaels, author of Reflections of a Successful Wallflower


Title: Reflections of a Successful Wallflower
Author: Andrea Michaels
Publisher: Outskirts Press
Pages: 340
Genre: Business Memoir
Format: Paperback/Kindle

 Reflections of a Successful Wallflower can only be compared to reading the diaries of Andrea Michaels, considered to be the backbone of the special events industry. This multiple award-winning business woman shares openly and candidly, not only the public wunderkind but the inner woman. Discover the workings of one of the foremost event producers in the world. You'll laugh; you'll cry; you'll be in disbelief and fascinated at the same time. Andrea is a storyteller, and her stories and her life are great lessons for everyone.

For More Information

What is your favorite quality about yourself? I never EVER give up.

What is your least favorite quality about yourself? Impatience. 

How long have you been writing? Since the age of 5...do I have to tell you how many years that is?

When did you first know you could be a writer? Age 5. I loved it.

Who or what influenced your writing once you began? I started reading grown up books when I was very young and loved how words played with eachother to bring images to life. We didn't have a television so I would read and imagine. it was wonderful.

Who or what influenced your writing over the years? Everyone who could bring words to life and make me feel that what they wrote was real.

What made you want to be a writer? I never thought about being a writer. I just thought about writing.

How did you come up with the title of the book? I was a wallflower. Still am. I am successful so the "wallflower" is me but not the ones people perceive.  And it was not about "Confessions" ... it was about looking back to see what had happened in my life and career and thinking about it.

Are there any current books that have grasped your interest? I seem to be drawn to the YA genre because there is an innocence in them. I have always loved the stories of overcoming obstacles with heroes and heroines who despite all the odds, conquer.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? Editing it. If left in my hands I would have edited and edited and edited and it never would have been published. There was always just one more thing I wanted to add.

Did you learn anything while writing your book? If so, what was it? That I loved the process...all of it.

Give us three “Good to Know” facts about you. Be creative, you can talk about your first job, something that inspires you, anything fun that might grab the readers attention.

1.  I am completely honest about who I am, flaws and all. Good and bad. So ask me a question, and you'll get an answer. You may not like it, but you'll have my honest opinion.
2. I am unbelievably shy. I cannot walk into a party or a room without feeling like the wallflower that I am. I am terrified of those situations and get through them only with false bravado. As a result people think I'm cold or haughty or unapproachable. And I'm not. I just wish they'd approach me. The inner me says, "no one in the room likes me or wants to talk to me."
Yes, wallflower to the max.
3. I am committed to writing a book about a young man I just met who inspires me incredibly. At the ripe old age of 17 or so, he's CEO of several companies and is out to change the world. And he will. He is from very humble beginnings, the kind that could have lead to crime or some form of social inertia, but instead he has risen above it all to be an incredible achiever. I feel that his story will tell young people what they can do if only they have the right mind set.

Tell us a little bit about the cover art. Who designed it? What made you choose that particular image/artwork? My dear friend, Carol Wood, designed it. I had put out a feeler for a cover artist and the samples that came back were ridiculous and just not "me". I knew that only someone who knew me well could capture the essence of what would complement the book itself. And that person, who I trust implicitly, was Carol.


Winner of 39 Special Events magazine Gala Awards, Andrea was honored as the “Pillar of the Industry” during The Special Event Gala in 2014. This unique one-time-only achievement award, on the heels of the 25th Anniversary of Extraordinary Events, recognized Andrea for a lifetime of elevating the quality, integrity, creativity and impact of the events industry, as well as spearheading its international outreach. Andrea is also the first inductee into the Special Event Industry Hall of Fame and the recipient of the coveted Special Event Award of Excellence and a Lifetime Achievement Award. Additionally, she has won the M.P.I. Global Paragon Award and a SITE Crystal Award, among many other such honors. Andrea has planned and produced events since 1973, expanding from local Los Angeles based events to a dominant international presence.

 How does Andrea stay ahead of the competition and consistently exceed her clients’ expectations? She listens. To her clients. To her vendors. To the industry. Then she integrates that very precise information in order to achieve her clients’ individual goals through creative marketing and integrated special events. What does this mean and how does it benefit you? It means that Andrea will promise that your needs are understood, your goals are met, and your budget is respected. All achieved through listening.

 Andrea thinks of each event like a play…with an overture, acts, and finale, which brings a satisfying experience to all who attend her events. She believes in intense communication through marketing strategies designed to fulfill the goals of each individual project.

 Whether it’s a multi-day festival at Mall of America, the opening of G.M. Place in Vancouver, hybrid events for MINI, the holiday spectacle for Go Daddy or multi-day programs throughout Europe, Asia or Latin America, no event is too small or too large. All are given equal attention.

 Andrea’s conceptualization skills, logistical savvy, and ability to produce the mega-event for thousands of guests are legendary. Each event presented to her is analyzed for its specific needs. Her ever-growing clientele is loyal, and many clients have been with her for more than 20 years. These sought-after relationships are based on proven performance and enriched with trust and ethics. She listened carefully 25 years ago. She listens now.

 Andrea is now a published author. Available on Amazon as a hard-bound book or on Kindle, as well as at Barnes & Noble book stores, her book, Reflections of a Successful Wallflower; Lessons in Business, Lessons in Life, is a tell-all, in-depth glimpse into her personal and professional life and is quite a read! Other books co-authored by Andrea include: Stepping Stones to Success with Deepak Chopra and Jack Canfield;

  Yes You Can! Reaching your Potential While Achieving Greatness with Dr. Warren Bennis and Jim Rohn; Bushido Business – The Fine Art of the Modern Professional with Tom Hopkins, Brian Tracy and Stephen M.R. Covey; and Mastering the Art of Success with Mark Victor Hansen, Les Brown and Jack Canfield.

 Follow Andrea on https://www.facebook.com/pages/Extraordinary-Events/; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reflections-of-a-Successful-Wallflower-Lessons-in-Business-Lessons-in-Life/ and Twitter @extraordinaryev.

For More Information

No comments

Powered by Blogger.