Interview with JD Seamus, author of Last Call

Novelist JD Seamus has lived and worked among some of the most amazing characters ever to have walked the Earth.

After decades of working in the world of retail finance, e-commerce, and venture capital, Seamus began writing a series of novels based in Manhattan.

With a keen eye for detail, Seamus takes to heart the old adage to “write what you know.” Borrowing from real life experience, Seamus delivers highly entertaining tales full of sparkling wit and dark humor.

Whether pondering life’s most absurd or most wonderful moments, or showcasing a character’s foibles or triumphs, JD Seamus is dynamic new voice in the world of fiction. Seamus may make you blush, he may make you cry, but he will certainly leave you entertained.

Today, Seamus is happily at work on his sixth book in South Florida and dividing his time between his family and Braves and Jaguar games. You can visit his website at www.jdseamusbooks.com.

Welcome to The Writer's Life, JD. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

JD: I’m an original illegal alien who can’t speak Spanish. I did become a citizen and, according to Joe Biden, am very patriotic because I pay my taxes on time, grudgingly.

I started writing as a hobby in the 1990s but didn’t really get serious until I retired in 1999.

Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

A reviewer, and I don’t recall who, described Last Call as Cheers meets the Sopranos. It’s a book about a diverse group of people who ban together to help a friend. The book actually started as a dark comedy but it really lightened along the way.

I wrote it because I’ve always admired loyalty and this groups loyalty was stretched to the limit.

What were some of the biggest challenges you faced writing it?


JD: Oddly I was writing another book, Best Intentions, which will be out after the sequel to Last Call, and doing what any sane Irishman would do-spending time in my neighborhood pub. One afternoon it hit me-the pub itself has some amazing characters in it and it would be a shame not to use them in a book. For back, my pub is around the corner from my condo in midtown Manhattan. It’s strategically located within blocks of all the major networks, publishers, modeling agencies, ad groups and law firms. It was nothing to come in and find soap opera stars, network anchors, models, publishers, politicians, folks from the financial world and mafia types sitting around having drinks and telling stories. It was a gold mine for a writer.

Do you have a press kit and what do you include in it? Does this press kit appear online and, if so, can you provide a link to where we can see it?

JD: My site is a work in process. Like most things I do, I had fun with it. Press stuff, reviews and the like are on it. My site is www.jdseamusbooks.com.

Have you either spoken to groups of people about your book or appeared on radio or TV? What are your upcoming plans for doing so?

JD: I’ve done some radio interviews and spoken to a few groups. I’d certainly like to do more. Second to the actual writing part of the business, I enjoy book signings and speaking engagements. You really get instant feedback on how your work is being accepted.

Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?


JD: Initially I felt that I needed an agent and worked with a couple of people. Nothing came of it. I’m not sure whether I just had the wrong people or what but I don’t have anyone now. I use a combination of a marketing group and a great PR person.

Did you, your agent or publisher prepare a media blitz before the book came out and would you like to tell us about it?


JD: Maryglenn McCombs, my publicist, designed a whirlwind blitz that included newspaper, magazine and the internet. It’s tough breaking in as a new writer. The industry itself is amazingly archaic. I guess that’s the reason the industry is in such flux now and sales are down. They are very much afraid to go with a fresh, new voice. The industry tends to keep pushing out the old, tired, cookie cutter concept books that I think the public is tired of. It’s frustrating. Thankfully I’ve had the opportunity to make some money and don’t rely on book sales but I certainly feel for some of my peers.

Do you plan subsequent books?

JD: Sure do. I have a sequel to Last Call. It’s tentatively titled Family Retribution. I also have four other books waiting in the wings.

Thank you for your interview, J D. Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

JD: Again, my site is www.jdseamusbooks.com. The big franchises, while stocking very few new authors, will order it for customers although you should raise hell with the manager because it isn’t stocked. The 800 pound gorilla Amazon carries it as does most of the other internet sites. The best place to buy it is at your local neighborhood independent book store. Your money stays in the community and you are helping out a neighbor.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.