Interview with Jennifer Allis Provost, author of 'Changing Teams'



Jennifer Allis Provost writes books about faeries, orcs and elves. Zombies too. She grew up in the wilds of Western Massachusetts and had read every book in the local library by age twelve. (It was a small library). An early love of mythology and folklore led to her epic fantasy series, The Chronicles of Parthalan, and her day job as a cubicle monkey helped shape her urban fantasy, Copper Girl. Changing Teams, the first in a new contemporary series, was released November 10, 2015 from Limitless Publishing. The second book, Changing Scenes, made its debut on January 5, 2015.

For More Information
About the Book:

Title: Changing Teams
Author: Jennifer Allis Provost
Publisher: Limitless Publishing
Pages: 36
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Britt Sullivan, part time model and full time aspiring artist, is sick of living alone in the city… 

Taking lame jobs just to make ends meet is leading Britt nowhere, and she knows something has to change. She needs some excitement, and when she meets blue-eyed Midwesterner Sam MacKellar at a photo shoot, she realizes he’s perfect for her in every way—well, except for the fact that he’s gay. 

A devastating childhood trauma turned Sam’s whole life into a lie… 

Sam came to
New York City to escape an existence that had become unbearable, and when his job as a photographer’s assistant leads him to Britt, he realizes he’s finally met someone who sees him as he really is. But plagued by nightmares and trapped by his own deception, he doesn’t know how she can truly be part of his life. 

Friendship leads to a passionate encounter and hidden dangers… 

Britt comforts Sam though his nightmares, and they begin to explore their mutual attraction, but the tables are turned when Britt faces unwelcome attention from a manipulative art instructor and Sam must come to her defense. 

Sam is terrified to reveal the source of his nightmares, sure the truth would shatter his complicated relationship with Britt, but when she suffers an unspeakable trauma of her own, only Sam can help her pick up the pieces. 

When Britt learns the magnitude of Sam’s lies, will his reasons and the depth of their feelings be enough to allow her to forgive him? Does she have a future with Sam, or does his deception also include the reality of changing teams?

For More Information


Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us at the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

I’m so glad to be here! My process for writing Changing Teams was a bit different than usual. I’d been working on a short story, and one of the supporting characters was a photographer from Iowa named Sam. That character just wouldn’t stop talking, so I made Sam my project for NaNoWriMo (that’s short for National Novel Writing Month – learn more at www.nanowrimo.org) in 2014. I asked myself a bunch of questions, such as why was Sam in New York, how long had he been a photographer, and so forth. In no time I had the full plot for Changing Teams.

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

The hardest part of writing Changing Teams was the research. It takes place in modern-day New York City, and I wanted to get the details correct. Luckily I’ve been to the city many times, and I have several friends who live there. They were a tremendous help.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

I’m published with Limitless Publishing, and I couldn’t be happier. Before I submitted to them I did a fair bit of research about the New Adult genre, since it’s a fairly new category. Limitless was on my short list of dream publishers, and I was thrilled when I got my acceptance.

Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

Actually, Changing Teams isn’t my first published book, but it is my first contemporary romance. My biggest surprise has been how supportive the romance community is, for both readers and writers.

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

Changing Teams is the first in a series. The second, Changing Scenes, was released January 5, and the third, Changing Fates, is forth coming. I’ve also got an urban fantasy/paranormal romance called Copper Girl, with the latest installment, Copper Veins, coming May 3. And since only truly crazy people write three series at once, I have a fantasy romance called The Chronicles of Parthalan. Heir to the Sun is available now, and the sequel, The Virgin Queen, will be available June 1.

Q: What’s your favorite place to hang out online?

Probably Twitter. I’m @parthalan, come visit me!

Q: What’s your nightly ritual before retiring for the night?

After picking up after my kids and husband (the jury’s still out on who’s messier), I spend about an hour finishing up my projects for the day, replying to email, and setting up promotional materials. I don’t do much writing at night, since my mind works better in the morning. If I finish everything on my list I reward myself with some Netflix.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

The message behind Changing Teams is that love doesn’t always make sense, but you owe it to yourself to give it a try.
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

Thank you so much for having me! If anyone has follow up questions please leave them in the comments, I love hearing from my readers!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.