The Tiger's Cage: Interview with Suspense Author Linda J. White



Linda J. White is the author of multiple FBI thrillers including the HOLT Medallion-winning “Seeds of Evidence.” She lives in Fauquier County, Virginia with her husband Larry, who worked at the FBI Academy for over 27 years. When she’s not writing she likes playing with dogs and her grandchildren and going to the beach.

Her latest book is the suspense novel, The Tiger’s Cage.

For More Information
About the Book:

FBI Special Agent Tom Donovan is about to nail the drug lord he’s been investigating when Angel Ramos does the unthinkable: He kidnaps Tom’s eighteen-year-old son, Kenny. The FBI responds with a powerful show of force but Ramos manages to elude them. Tom is furious, his wife is terrified, and their son is forced to confront evil face-to-face.

Tom devises a brilliant plan to rescue his son, but on a windy, rainy night in Washington, his past collides with his present in a dramatic turn of events, and Tom discovers his greatest strength isn’t his at all. 

The Tiger’s Cage is a story of courage, faith, and endurance in a violent world.

For More Information

  • The Tiger’s Cage is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us at the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

Believe it or not, “The Tiger’s Cage” has been 23 years in the making! I got the idea for it after knee surgery in December, 1992, and wrote it in 1993. My husband worked at the FBI Academy for 27 years, making training films. Something about his work triggered the story idea, and off I went. Tiger came very close to being picked up by a major publisher in 1996, but that deal fizzled. So it sat in a drawer until last summer, when I decided to revise it and self-publish it.

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

Tiger was my first attempt at novel writing. It was hard learning both FBI procedures (I wanted to be accurate) and novel techniques at the same time. All I can say to other writers is 1) ask for help; and 2) be persistent. It took me a year to write Tiger, and that’s typical for me still.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

“The Tiger’s Cage” is self-published but I also have three traditionally published books. The publishing industry isn’t an easy one to break into. The best way to do it is network by going to conferences, build an online platform through Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc., consider blogging, and pray! 

The downside of self-publishing is this: It’s hard for a writer to judge his or her own work. Many books are hitting the market that just aren’t ready. Don’t establish a mediocre reputation for yourself by self-publishing a book that’s really not ready for prime time.

Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

“Bloody Point” was my first published book, but it was the fourth one I’d written. I was surprised at how well it was received in the most interesting places: a boat show, an oyster festival, a marine museum. What a kick it was to walk into the museum store and see my book on the shelf!

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

I’m working on a book about the 2002 D.C. Sniper. It’ll be fictionalized and set in a different location. I lived through that incident, and wrote about it for the newspaper at which I was working. My agent is shopping that concept now.
I’m also working on a novella which I probably will self-publish this year. It’s about a high school senior who is courted by an older man (he’s 25) whose intentions will have devastating consequences.

Q: What’s your favorite place to hang out online?

Facebook. @LindaJWhiteBooks
Lately I’ve started getting into Twitter. We’ll see. I’m just having fun with it right now. @rytn4hm

Q: What’s your nightly ritual before retiring for the night?

Oh, goodness. After the usual (bathroom, teeth brushing), I unwind by reading, usually on my Kindle. Sometimes I play Classic Words on it, too. I’m a little obsessive about that.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

Like most people, I’ve gone through times when I’ve wondered about God. Where is He? Why is He allowing this? Does prayer work? I like exploring those questions through my characters.
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

There are lots of ways to spend your time, and lots of (much easier) ways to make money than by writing. So, write if you’re the kind of person who can’t not write. If that’s who you are and if that’s how you process life, then keep writing and don’t quit. As for readers? We love you!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.