DEJA VU AT THE BLUE DIAMOND LAGOON: AUTHOR Q&A with Kathy Holmes @screamiebirds #blogtour


Today's guest is one of my old friends, Kathy Holmes. She is here with us to talk about a new psychological suspense novel titled Deja Vu at the Blue Diamond Saloon.  We're very glad to have here here today to talk about her book, writing and what surprised her about getting her book published. 







When did you come up with the idea to write your book?
Actually, the first chapter came to me in a nightmare when we were living in Florida. I woke up, heart pounding, sweating, and knew I had to write it down. When we moved to Las Vegas, I saw this place called “The Blue Diamond Saloon” and I knew I had to write the story with a Las Vegas setting.

Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

I'm a bit of a hybrid - I have published with small publishers, and independently, depending on the book and the situation. My first book founds an agent and a small press, but they soon went out of business. So I then self-published it and discovered the joy of independence. Since then I've published with other small publishers and independently.

This book was published independently. I have to say, I love being an Indie Author, retaining control over the book. The downside is it’s a lot of work, either doing it myself or obtaining the services of others such as editing and cover art. But I do have a background in publishing so I have a lot of experience formatting, editing, and other production tasks.

Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

I think the real surprise when I signed with an agent and she told me that my writing had a “poetic, almost lyrical rhythm” to it. I wondered what she meant. About the same time, I met my biological father and his family and learned my grandmother wrote poetry and my grandfather, uncles, dad, etc. were musical and played instruments. Along the way, I decided I should pursue poetry and songwriting.

Do you believe a book cover plays an important role in the selling process?

Book covers can get the initial attention, but I don’t think it sells the book.

How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

It used to take me all day to sit down and write. I was so afraid of the page that I’d procrastinate all day. Along about 4 pm, I’d finally get the nerve to sit down at the computer and write for half an hour. What I’ve learned since then is the power of getting started by coming up with something easy to do, like blogging to kickstart your writing or changing the formatting if you’ve already got something written. Once you’re doing something, the pressure is off and the words start flowing.

What other books are you working on and when will they be published?

I have three manuscripts in progress. One is what you might call a “romantic comedy” or “chick lit,” the second is a suspense, and the third is an historical from the mid-twentieth century. I’m not sure when they will be published, if they will go with a traditional publisher or I’ll publish them as an independent author. All while juggling writing/producing music.

What’s one fact about your book that would surprise people?

If they’ve read any of my other books, they might be surprised that this one is a suspense, instead of the more fun “chick lit” type of book.

Finally, what message are you trying to get across with your book?

I’m not so sure there’s a message, but the theme is about a woman starting over after a bad relationship and how much that relationship influences the one after, having gone through a similar situation myself.
  
Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

Thank you for having me. I would love to hear more from my readers, and happy to answer questions for aspiring writers if I can. They can find me on my web site (kathyholmes.net) or by following me on Twitter (twitter.com/screamiebirds), joining in with the #WritingCommunity. It’s a very welcoming, supportive place.

Meet the Author



Kathy Holmes grew up in Southern California near Disneyland and the beach with a book in one hand and a transistor radio in the other. She began writing stories about family and wrote her first song with a childhood friend. They called themselves the “Screamie Birds.”

Books have always spurred her love for travel, especially to places she’s read about, and location is often a character in her books.

After an exciting career in Silicon Valley, she is now combining her love for both books and music at Screamie Birds Studios. You can find out more about her books and music at http://www.kathyholmes.net.

website & Social links

Website: http://www.kathyholmes.net

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/screamiebirds

Inside the Book


Title: Deja Vu at the Blue Diamond Saloon
Author: Kathy Holmes
Publisher: Screamie Birds Studios
Pages: 249
Genre: Psychological Suspense

Nikki Durrance escaped the worst nightmare of her life when she fled Las Vegas for San Francisco, leaving her abusive husband Jeff behind at the Blue Diamond Saloon. Rebuilding her life in San Francisco with the help of her closest friend Sally, Nikki draws the line with one thing: men. But when she accompanies Sally on a business trip back in Las Vegas, Nikki meets Dr. Mike Fischer, a sexy and desirable pediatrician also from San Francisco.

After a whirlwind courtship followed by a proposal, Nikki panics and jumps on the nearest cruise ship to Mexico. Realizing she must face her fears rather than run from them, she returns home and accepts Mike’s proposal. Life picks up even more speed with Mike’s plans and Nikki panics once again, imagining that everything Mike does mirrors her ex-husband Jeff. Attempting to sort out what’s real and what’s not, Nikki begins to question everything, including her sanity when everything with Mike feels like déjà vu.

cLICK BELOw TO ORDER YOUR COPY!

Amazon → https://amzn.to/32vYGZV

 Barnes & Noble → https://bit.ly/33yNop4

No comments

Powered by Blogger.