Interview with Nora LeDuc, Author of GIFTS FROM THE HEART

Nora LeDuc has been writing for more than ten years. She has two historicals romances in print. GIFTS FROM THE HEART is her first short contemporary romance. You can visit her website at www.noraleduc.com.

INTERVIEW WITH NORA LEDUC


When did your passion for writing begin?

Unlike many writers, I began writing later in life. I’ve always entertained myself with stories and never thought I could write an entire book. But one day, when I read about a book for sale on how to write romances, it struck me. I could do it! The more I wrote, the more addicted I became. Writing for me is like reading or watching an exciting book or movie.

Can you tell us what your typical “writing” day is like?

I work full time so my writing life begins after the “paying ” job. Many people can’t understand how I can work all day and then work on my story, but for me it’s a whole new world and life once I sit at my computer.

Do you write full time?

I wish I could.

Can you tell us a little about GIFTS FROM THE HEART?

GIFTS FROM THE HEART is my first contemporary and ebook. Many of the incidents in the story such as the character running off with the Old Home Day money and how the town rallies to produce a parade without funds were incidents from the towns around me. Lara and Harrison’s love story about your first love and what could happen if you ever meet again.

Who published your book and how has your experience with them been?

Whiskey Creek Press is my publisher. When I became published with Whiskey Creek, I found a whole new family of writers and friends. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with both Debra and Steven Womack.

Can you tell us the inspiration behind GIFTS FROM THE HEART?

I’d written two historicals and when I attended a writers’ conference, I heard nothing but gloom and doom for the historical market. I vowed to go home and write a contemporary so I could expand my readers base and stay published. The most difficult part was writing in a less formal manner than in my historicals.

Can you tell us ways you are promoting your book? Have they been successful?

I’ve received very good to excellent reviews on my story. I’ve joined marketing groups, most recently Authors Unlimited, and I’ve advertised in the New England Romance Newsletter. I also have a contest on my website I’d like to encourage all to enter. (noraleduc.com)

Who are your favorite authors and why do they inspire you?

My first authors were Julie Garwood, Johanna Lindsey, Tami Hoag, and of course, Nora Roberts. I seem to have followed the market trend and expanded more into contemporary with Janet Evanovich, Robert Parker, still Nora Roberts, and Judie Garwood. I love the humor in all these stories and incorporate lots of humor into my stories. I’ve tried to write dark and might succeed for a chapter but then my characters start being funny and ruin the mood.

Do you have a mentor?

I don’t have one person for a mentor. I’ve been luck and depended on the kindness of strangers or fellow writers. who I’ve met through email or the RWA chapters to critique my writing. I’ve learned the most from them. Thanks fellow writers!

What future projects do you have in the works?

I’ve tons of projects. I have two romantic mysteries completed. I’m revising a sequel to my first historical Miss McNeal’s Pirate, and I have another book in process, which is best described as women’s fiction but of course with romance.

What do you feel are the pros and cons of the publishing industry today?

This will sound redundant to what others have said, but the tight market is a real detriment to encouraging writers today. On the plus side, we can communicate with each other and share our work in an instant thanks to technology. It’d be great if more publishing houses took advantage of technology and instead of snail mailing everything.

Can you give aspiring authors words of advice towards getting published?

Never give up on your dream of writing or getting published. It took me ten years to sell my first book, so that should encourage everyone! I bet they can beat me.

What’s one thing about your life that you think is important, but nobody asks?

Let's see. Lots of people have asked me why don’t I write something besides romance, but never why romance. I write it because I really believe in living happily ever after and every time my characters meet and fall in love, I get to experience it all over again. Without this bond with your characters, I don’t believe your books will succeed.

Can you tell us where we can go to buy GIFTS FROM THE HEART?

Gifts FROM THE HEART is available at Whiskey Creek Press, Fictionwise or email me from my website noraleduc.com.

Thank you very much for your time!

###



No comments

Powered by Blogger.