Interview with Maria Andrade, author of HEART MAGIC: KEEPING LOVE ALIVE & WELL

Maria J. Andrade, M.F.T., is a licensed therapist author and poet. Her eco-social book for children, Youngen Finds Her Song, was published last year. She is founder of the “Heart Magic” workshops based on her book Heart Magic, Keeping Love Alive & Well. This book focuses on important “Select Principles and Do’s and Don’ts” for sustaining a loving and lasting partnership. She lives in California and has a private counseling practice with her husband Sy Cohn. You can visit her website at www.magicunion.com, or on Twitter-birdchat or Facebook – see Maria J. Andrade.

Welcome to The Writer's Life, Maria. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

I was born in the middle of the earth, in Ecuador and raised in the US. I started writing poetry and plays as a youngster, got a degree in English literature and later in Counseling Psychology and then got licensed as a therapist. I wrote a book of poetry in the late 90s, Singing My Self Home, which is about dreams, transformation, love and the shadow. This Valentine’s Day Virtual Book Tour I am on this month focuses on my book, Heart Magic, Keeping Love Alive & Well.


Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

This is a small, dynamo book which shows you how to succeed in having a lasting, healthy, happy and loving relationship.


What kind of research was involved in writing, Heart Magic,Keeping Love Alive & Well?

I have been a Marriage, Family Therapist for 25 years so I had research in regards what makes people stay together or break up. I also had a substantial amount of experience in what characteristics are found in happy marriages, which I let readers know about in my book in the “ 8 Select Principles”. After more than two decades of working with couples I describe the positive and negative habits of communication, which build or destroy love. These are the “Dos and Don’ts” of relating in my book.

I also include true case histories based on my work with so many couples. Of course the names of people are changed to protect their privacy.


Has it been a bumpy ride to becoming a published author or has it been pretty well smooth sailing?

I think it has been rather smooth over all. I tend to be a blithe spirit.


For this particular book, how long did it take from the time you signed the contract to its release?

It was a matter of a few months. I have good distributors.


Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

I have not used an agent in the past and may consider one for the novel I recently finished because of the genre. It is based on a true story and it regards an epic drama of love, passion, betrayal, loss of fortune and redemption in the life of three close friends.


Do you plan subsequent books?

Yes, I have three children’s books, two are written in poetry which I would like to see published and a science fiction novelette. I also have a comedy play half finished.


Can you describe your most favorite place to write?

I write either in my cottage which looks out to trees or in my vegetable garden.


If money was no object, what would be the first thing you would invest in to promote your book?

I would have an animation film made out the eco-social book for children that was released last year, Youngen Finds Her Song, because not only kids but adults would get so much out of that adventure about a small bird that does not at first believe in herself then finds out the beauty and majesty of the world around her. She finds her own uniqueness in the process and the love that binds all life.

It is a story about the importance of self-respect, compassion, laughter and hope and I think we need these qualities now more than ever, as we deal with the big global issues confronting the human species right now!


How important do you think self-promotion is and in what ways have you been promoting your book offline and online?

I think it is very important. I am a mom and grandmother. Part of my job is to help my children and grandchildren find a place for themselves in the world. I think an artist has the same obligation with his or her work. If you create something it has to get a life and you need to get the word out!


What’s the most common reason you believe new writers give up their dream of becoming published and did you almost give up?

Is that a fact, new writers give up their dream? I hope not. If you love
something, never give it up, especially if you are young. I am as old as dirt and I keep plugging so you young ones out there – keep that pen and imagination moving!


Any final words of wisdom for those of us who would like to be published?

Don’t give up, I said! Think of leaving a body of work that you can be proud of and get it into print one way or another. The publishing field has been split wide open and technology has allowed us to communicate on a larger and faster pace with the whole world. You never know what impact you might have on a reader who happens to pick up your words. Believe in yourself!


Thank you for your interview, Maria. I wish you much success!

You’re very kind. Thank you! It has been my pleasure. Let’s do it again soon.


Maria is on virtual book tour this month. If you would like to visit her official tour page, click here!

1 comment:

  1. What a great interview! I absolutely love your advice, Maria and wish you the greatest success!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.