Interview with humor columnist Rose A. Valenta, author of SITTING ON COLD PORCELAIN

Rose A. Valenta is a nationally syndicated humor columnist. Her irreverent columns have been published in Senior Wire, Associated Content, Courier Post Online, NPR, Newsday, USA TODAY, the WSJ Online, and many other local news and radio websites.

She is the author of Rosie’s Renegade Humor Blog. This is the blog for people who would be knowledgeable about current events and politics if only politicians and news anchors didn’t stretch the truth. “What else is there to do, but share an honest laugh?” Rose said.

Rose regularly attends the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop at the University of Dayton, is a member of the Robert Benchley Society and the National Society of Newspaper Columnists (NSNC).

Rose lived in Philadelphia for over 40 years, where she honed her humor writing skills by being married to a Philadelphia Policeman and giving birth to three children. “Times have changed. Now that we have 10 grandchildren, I’m not sure how I feel about children being exposed to the evening news. Humorous things happen, like the time my grandson asked us to come outside to see his version of ‘Frosty the Inappropriate Snowman’ right after Snowmageddon.”

Rose worked for a subsidiary of McGraw-Hill, Datapro Information Services, for 12 years as a technical staff writer, and also wrote freelance articles for other computer industry publications.

She claims that her Italian heritage stunted her growth. She is English on her Father’s side and believes that in a past life, during medieval times, she was probably a trusted member of the Counsel of the Jesters.

Her latest book is Sitting on Cold Porcelain which you can find out more about at her website at www.rosevalenta.com.


Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life, Rose. Can you tell us how long you’ve been writing and how your journey led to writing your latest book, Sitting on Cold Porcelain?

It’s been a long journey. I’ve been writing professionally since 1984. During most of those years, I was a technical writer. However, I have been a humorist for most of my life. First, getting into trouble as a small child by pulling pranks; then, as an adult, satirizing my boss. My friends and co-workers urged me to write a book. I procrastinated.

As an avid fan of Erma Bombeck, I began attending the bi-annual workshops at the University of Dayton. Then I started writing Rosie’s Renegade Humor Blog, got a few of my columns syndicated, joined the Robert Benchley Society and the National Society of Newspaper Columnists, and finally wrote my book. It will be the first of many.

Q: I love your title…can you tell us why you chose it?

It is the best way to describe Murphy’s Law in a woman’s life. Actually, I elaborate on that in the Introduction to my book.


Q: Why did you believe your book should be published?

I went into the “Humor” section of my local book store and noticed the slim pickings. Not only that, but most people can always use a good laugh.


Q: We all know that publishers can’t do all of the publicity and that some lies on the author. What has your publisher done so far to publicize the book and what have you done?

My publisher sent out press releases and featured my book at the American Library Association Conference in my home State, Pennsylvania. I went several steps further by starting Rosie’s Renegade Humor Blog; joining Facebook and Twitter, attracting a following; sending out my own press releases; and signing up with Pump Up Your Book.


Q: What book on the market can it compare to? How is it different? What makes your book special?

I think it is comparable to both Allen Dale’s Cracker Barrel Comments and Erma Bombeck’s If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits? It’s different because you get the best of both worlds in Sitting on Cold Porcelain. Although, some of the essays are a bit risqué, something you would never find in a Bombeck book, it is still relatively clean; you know, witty without being offensive. Plus, it satirizes politicians and current events in addition to dysfunctional family satire.


Q: Open to a random page in your book. Can you tell us what is happening?

Yes, Frosty the Inappropriate Snowman has been upstaging all the Christmas light displays in your neighborhood.


Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

Yes, “Sitting on Cold Porcelain II” is more than half finished and I am brain-storming a funny romance novel.


Q: Thank you for your interview, Rose. Do you have any final words?

Yes, my book is doing fantastic at the Amazon Kindle Store and thanks to all who follow Rosie’s Renegade Humor Blog, it is in the number two spot in the “Top 50 Blogs in Philadelphia” on Facebook. You can also follow me on Twitter @rosevalenta.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.