TWL Chats with Karen Mueller Bryson - Author of The Incredibly Awesome Adventures of Puggie Liddell



Dr. Karen Mueller Bryson is an optioned screenwriter, produced playwright and published novelist.

She is the author of several romantic comedy novels for adults and is the creator of Short on Time books, a series of fast-paced and fun novels readers can finish in one sitting.

The Incredibly Awesome Adventures of Puggie Liddell is Karen’s first novel for young people.

What is your name and where do you call home?

My name is Karen Mueller Bryson and I live in Florence, Arizona, which is outside of Phoenix.

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?

The Incredibly Awesome Adventures of Puggie Liddell integrates historical figures and events in a fun-filled and action-packed time travel adventure for tweens.



Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

This is the first in a series of fast reads for tweens. The main characters, sibling rivals Puggie and Gigi Liddell, go head-to-head with the inventor, Thomas Edison and scientist, Nikola Tesla. The kids will have more time travel adventures. I am in the process of writing a story, in which Puggie and Gigi meet the writer, Edgar Allan Poe as well as a book, in which they travel to Tombstone and get involved with the infamous gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?

My mom taught me to read at a young age and I immediately knew I wanted to be a writer. I wrote my first book, with my mom’s help, when I was four! I’m still writing forty years later.

Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?

I love to gift books to readers, who would like to review them.

How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?

The cover was designed and created by the talented illustrator, L.L. Tisdel. She is also working on a graphic novel adaptation of the book.

Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?

I’m a bit biased because my husband created the covers for my adult romantic comedy novels, Hey Dorothy You’re Not in Kansas Anymore, Where is Wonderland Anyway and Twyla’s Last Trip. I adore his work!

How did you come up with the title for your book?

Puggie and Gigi Liddell were characters I developed for a teen screenplay, Retro Geeks, which I wrote several years ago. The screenplay featured Gigi and her best friend and was about them trying to get dates for senior prom. Puggie was a minor character in the story but a most people, who read the script, loved Puggie. I wasn’t able to garner must interest in the prom script, so I decided to write a story, which featured Puggie and his sister, when they were younger, traveling through time. I wanted kids to be immediately attracted to the book, so I wanted the title to reflect the fact that the sibling’s adventures were no ordinary adventures; they were incredibly awesome adventures!

Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?

I created two trailers for the book. I love book trailers and have actually purchased books as a result of seeing the trailers. Book trailers are fun to create, although the process can be time consuming.

Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?

I have so little time to read between my full-time job as a university professor and my writing career. I try to spend all of my commuting time listening to audiobooks. When I do have a chance to read at home, I prefer to read paperbacks.

Are you a self-published / Indie author?

The Incredibly Awesome Adventures of Puggie Liddell is published by Zeta Comics, which is a small, traditional press. I also independently publish and recently created my own line, Short on Time Books, which are fast-paced and fun novels that readers can finish in one sitting.

Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?

I tend to read non-fiction books more than once, particularly books about religion or spirituality.

Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?

I purchased The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo based on the cover and title, which I found absolutely intriguing. This was before all of the publicity about the film adaptation and I had no idea what the book was about. Of course, I immediately fell in love with book and had to read the remainder of the trilogy!

What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?

I just finished listening to the audiobook version of The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenies, which I loved. I just started listening to the audiobook, Steve Jobs, which I think everyone in the country is reading right now!

Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?

The best advice I was given: to be a writer, you actually have to write! Many people want to be writers or to have written something but they don’t actually ever write. You have to write a lot and keep practicing, in order to be good at writing and produce something of value.

Where can your readers follow you?

Author Website: http://www.ahorsewithnoname.com/
Puggie Website: http://puggie.homestead.com/
Puggie Blog: http://puggieblog.tumblr.com/
Author Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/karenmuellerbryson
Puggie Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/thepuggiepage
Author Twitter: http://twitter.com/karenmbryson
Puggie Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThePuggiePage
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Karen-Mueller-Bryson/e/B001K8S0U8/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/karenmbryson
Short on Time Books: http://www.shortontimebooks.com/

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.