Interview with Thomas Waite, author of "Terminal Value"


About Thomas Waite

Thomas Waite is an author, entrepreneur and consultant whose writings have appeared in such publications as the Harvard Business Review and The New York Times and he has been featured in a wide variety of media, including CNN Money and a number of cable news programs. As an entrepreneur, he founded and co-founded two companies, including one that was sold to an Internet firm. He has consulted to dozens of technology corporations and other companies, and serves on the Board of Directors of others. He was born in the seaside town of Ipswich, Massachusetts, where his father was John Updike’s dentist. He attended the University of Wisconsin – Madison and Oxford University. He now lives in Boston, Massachusetts.
Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life, Tom. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

A: I am a writer, entrepreneur and businessman who has always wanted to write novels. My parents never discouraged me from following my passion, and so they had no objection to my pursuing a degree in English Literature. However, in the case of Terminal Value, ironically it was my experience in business that provided the most influence.

I read a lot as a child and used to make up stories that I would either describe verbally or jot down. In high school my favorite classes were always literature – and besides the classics, other authors, such as Kurt Vonnegut, that were considered avant-garde at the time, captivated me. But my interest really accelerated when I took creative writing courses in college.

While I began writing as a child, it accelerated through high school and college. I loved creating interesting stories (at least to me) and wasn’t worried about them ever being published.

After college I turned to writing non-fiction – at first as a “ghost-writer” for others and then under my own by-line. I’ve always wanted to write a novel, but my business career was very demanding and I never seemed to have the time. Then after selling my company, that changed and I finally had the time to devote to writing Terminal Value.

Q: Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

A: Terminal Value is a thriller intended to provide an insider's look into the excitement of a technology start-up, the anticipated riches of an initial public offering, the gut-wrenching murder of a friend, and the dark side of corporate America.

Terminal Value is inspired by my experience in business. While the story is completely fictional, I could never have written it had I not personally experienced some of the events that occur in the novel (of course excluding, among other things, murder!).

One reviewer wrote “Please don’t go into business, proceed with your MBA, sell your company, or complete your next deal until you’ve finished this book. Terminal Value peers into the psyches of those with the wrong kind of ambition, allowing a rare glimpse into the dark side of IPOs, acquisitions, and the secret world of high finance, all wrapped in a turbo-timed thriller!”  So in addition to writing a novel that is a fast-paced, exciting story that both entertains and educates readers, I am also conveying the message that we need more honesty and ethics in business today.

Q: What were some of the biggest challenges you faced writing it?

A: Being told that no one would be interested in this subject matter – from a literary agent who shall remain nameless! But more seriously, I think one of the most difficult things about being an author is to finally “let go” and declare the novel finished. Even when you receive the proofs before the book is printed, you still want to change it. However, overall I am happy with the novel.
Q: Do you have a press kit and what do you include in it?  Does this press kit appear online and, if so, can you provide a link to where we can see it?

A: I do not have a traditional press kit. All the information on me, my book, praise for Terminal Value, my posts regarding timely elements of the novel, my upcoming events, etc. may be found on my website: http://www.thomaswaite.com

Q: Have you either spoken to groups of people about your book or appeared on radio or TV?  What are your upcoming plans for doing so?

A: Yes. I am doing in-store book readings and signings and speaking to alumni associations and other gatherings. So far, though, I have not appeared on radio or TV for my novel.

Q: Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is?  If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

A: I do not have an agent. For an unknown novelist, it is almost impossible to find a literary agent who is willing to take you on given the state of publishing today. I don’t think having an agent is necessary, but I certainly think a great agent is very helpful. They have the connections and knowledge that others don’t.

Q: Did you, your agent or publisher prepare a media blitz before the book came out and would you like to tell us about it?

A: Yes. We orchestrated a campaign that included an outreach to my personal network, advertising that ran at the New York Times and The Boston Globe, LinkedIn, Goodreads, and an extensive social media and virtual author tour campaign through multiple channels.

Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

A: Yes. Given the positive reviews I have received and the encouragement from many readers to write a sequel, I am starting to sketch out ideas for one.
  
Q: Thank you for your interview, Tom.  Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

A: Yes, thank you! Readers can find me at www.thomaswaite.com. My book is available to purchase at the following locations:







About Terminal Value

Terminal ValueWhen Dylan Johnson sold his mobile computing business to Mantric Technology Solutions – a red-hot technology firm about to go public – he thought he and his partnerswould realize their wildest dreams. But before the deal is even completed, Dylan senses that something isn’t quite right. He should have trusted his instincts. He quickly finds himself marginalized and his partner and best friend Tony suspects that they are all caught in sinister web of deceit. The very night of Mantric’s wildly successful public offering, Dylan discovers his best friend dead – and is convinced he was murdered. Dylan forms a close alliance – and romantic relationship – with his former partner Heather and the two follow an electronic trail into Mantric’s secrets … only to discover that the death of their friend is the result of a betrayal they never could have imagined.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.