Interview with Kathryn Rudlin, author of 'Ghost Mothers'



Kathryn RudlinABOUT KATHRYN RUDLIN

Kathryn Rudlin, LCSW has credentials as both a mental health professional, and a professional writer. Since 1988, she has worked in California as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), having completed her Masters Degree in Social Work at The University of Denver, a Bachelors Degree in Psychology at The American University, Washington DC, post-graduate courses in family therapy, and clinical supervision, and being personally trained by Dr. Karyl McBride in her recovery model for daughters of narcissistic mothers.
She has worked at every level of therapeutic treatment to include foster care, alternative schools, residential treatment, wilderness therapy, and psychiatric hospitalization. Currently, she is a therapist in private practice in San Diego, specializing in counseling and education for daughters with mothering issues, in addition to providing training on this topic to mental health professionals.
Kathryn is a member of the National Association of Social Workers, the Endometriosis Association, and the Unity Center of San Diego. As a professional writer she has published articles in the NASW California newsletter, San Diego Woman Magazine, and is a widely read contributing writer for About.com/A New York Times Company, on the topic of troubled teens. In addition, as has written a workbook on effective group therapy with adolescents, created bi-lingual learning materials for children, and was co-owner of Clinical Inspiration, a company that developed continuing education materials for mental health professionals. Recently she edited Dr. Carolle Jean-Murat’s award winning book, Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer’s Journey From Surgeon to Shaman.
Learn more about Kathryn’s book and practice: http://ghostmothers.com
Find Kathryn!
13DDD
BUY ONLINE
00220023
23
Can you start out by telling us whether you are published for the first time or are you multi-published?

Ghost Mothers: Healing From the Pain of a Mother Who Wasn’t Really There is the first book that I’ve published. Over the previous 7 years I’ve published several articles and book reviews on mental health topics, and over 175 articles on the topic of at-risk teens for www.about.com.

When you were published for the first time, which route did you go – mainstream, small press, vanity published, or self-published and why or how did you choose this route?

Ghost Mothers, on the advice of my agent, was self-published with AuthorHouse. Since this book is an initial step in describing the pain of growing up un-mothered I wanted it to come out quickly, and appreciated that I had a significant amount of control over all aspects of the process; I’m pleased with the final result.

How long did it take you to get published once you signed the contract?

In my contract I opted for something this company calls rapid release, and from the time the final edits and formatting were finally submitted completed the book was published within a matter of weeks, the digital download was available about 10 days later.

How did it make you feel to become published for the first time and how did you celebrate?

My feelings upon publication were a mixture of relief, excitement and anticipation as I wondered what others would think of what I’d written. I initially celebrated by going on a dinner date with my husband who hadn’t seen much of me during the book-writing process. Then I made a promise to myself not to write anything for a while, and then I enjoyed throwing out all the paperwork I accumulated during this time.  

What was the first thing you did as far as promotion when you were published for the first time?

Initial steps were to establish the foundation I needed to do book promotion, including a professionally designed website describing my book and private practice, and also developing a presence on social media. Next steps were to define the message of my book in order to promote it. Now I’m actively seeking opportunities to present and discuss the issues brought out in Ghost Mothers.

Since you’ve been published, how have you grown as a writer and now a published author?

What I’ve experienced since the publication of my book is difficult to describe… as a therapist I’m now viewed as more of an expert than I was previously, greatly increasing the number of inquiries and referrals. As a writer I now know what it takes to stick with the process of completing a book. As a person, I feel more confident, creative and understood.

What has surprised or amazed you about the publishing industry as a whole?

My perspective is that the publishing industry is in flux, struggling to keep up with the numerous changes taking place in the digital world. The biggest surprises for me were that I could publish a book so quickly, and how much responsibility authors (publishing in any form) have to take in terms of book promotion.

What is the most rewarding thing about being a published author?

Hearing from someone who has been deeply touched by the concepts in my book, knowing that it’s truly made a difference in their life that I’ve written this book.

Any final words for writers who dream of being published one day?

If there is a book inside of you waiting to be written, I encourage you to do so – if the desire is there I think then the ability to do so is there too.

Ghost MothersABOUT GHOST MOTHERS

ARE YOU HAUNTED by your past, unable to be the person you long to be?

The core cause of your emotional, physical or spiritual problems may be unresolved issues from being raised by a GHOST MOTHER.
Ghost mothers are unable to connect emotionally. You needed so much from her, and got so little. Now this reality keeps you from becoming the empowered woman you want to be. Illuminating the ghost-issues that keep you stuck will immediately help you to move beyond the pain of your past.
Based on the author’s healing journey, and the haunting stories of other ghost daughters, this book explores the impact of an illusive past, and provides healing strategies for embracing a visible life.
LEARN the 6 proven ghost-busting strategies to create a life in which you are no longer haunted by the pain of being raised by a ghost mother.
RECOGNIZE: the reality of your past and what your ghost mother couldn’t provide. RELEASE: the pain that creates negative emotions, and damages your spirit.
REFOCUS: on a strong identity that allows you to get your needs met.
RESTORE: your confidence, inner strength, and self-knowledge.
RENOVATE: your perception of yourself in powerful ways.
REWRITE: a new life-script using the hidden gifts of being raised by a ghost.
You will have no choice, if you are willing, than to create the kind of powerful life you want. I am very proud of how Kathryn decided to take her painful experiences and turn them into a positive opportunity to help others heal. This book combines her challenging experience, and all that she has learned from counseling others in a compelling and very personal way, to show how to reduce the amount of time spent suffering from similar issues, how to take steps to heal at all levels, and how to take responsibility for moving forward.
–Dr. Carolle Jean-Murat, M.D., F.A.C.O.G., author of Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer’s Journey From Surgeon to Shaman

No comments

Powered by Blogger.