Interview with Rudy Mazzocchi, author of 'Storytelling: The Indispensable Art of Entrepreneurism'




Rudy Mazzocchi is best known as a medical device and biotechnology entrepreneur, inventor, and angel investor, with a history of starting new technology ventures throughout the U.S. and Europe. He’s been privileged to have the opportunity to see the newest innovations in healthcare and work with some of the most brilliant researchers, scientists and physicians in the industry.


Authoring more than 50 patents, he has helped pioneer new companies involved in cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, neurosurgery and even embryonic stem-cell development. Through these efforts, he has become the recipient of many technology and business awards, including the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award in Healthcare (2004), Businessman of the Year Award (2005), and Global Entrepreneur of the Year Award (2013).

Combining these experiences and opportunities, with thousands of hours of travel and long evenings in hotel rooms, he found the initiative to start writing a collection of award-winning business/medical thrillers based on true events, known as The EQUITY Series. STORYTELLING was his debut non-fiction business book released in November 2013.

Visit his website at www.rudymazzocchi.com.


Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us at the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

A.     While slowly building some brand recognition for my two published thrillers (EQUITY of EVIL and EQUITY of FEAR), I was nominated a third time for the Entrepreneur of the Year Award. During a meeting with the judges, they were trying to determine the primary reason for my success that drove my career as a ‘serial entrepreneur’. Honestly, I didn’t give it much thought until glaring into the eyes of these six judges. I had no academic business training, no long lineage of business tycoons in the family, and nothing that could be identified as my real first “break” in the industry. And then I blurted it out… “I just seem to have this knack for telling the story!” After explaining myself further, they all said (nearly in unison) that they’ve never heard such a rational reason, and that I should write a book on the subject. I submitted a manuscript to my editors about four months later.

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

A.     This was actually a very easy book for me to write, because it was based on a personal philosophy and a business practice that I’ve followed for over twenty-five years. Some may even view this book as a personal memoir, but it was never my intention of taking such an autobiographical approach with this. I simply described what worked and didn’t work for me while building my career, and supplied very candid examples (good or bad) to support my views on his indispensable art of being an entrepreneur.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

A.     I was extremely fortunate to identify and “hook” a publisher following the completion of my first novel, EQUITY of EVIL. As a fellow entrepreneur, Lida Quillen of Twilight Times Books saw something in my writing style and has been mentoring and guiding me through this industry ever since. There was no hesitation in bringing her this non-fiction book (my third book) that seemed to painlessly follow the release pattern of the previous two. Lida was introduced to me by my primary editor, Gerry Mills.

Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

A.     Oh yeah! As a virgin in this industry, I thought that once you had a literary agency, publisher and series of professional editors in your camp, all you had to do was sit back and pick and choose where your next book signing might be. I didn’t realize that promoting and selling the book was still the full obligation and responsibility of the author. The promotional aspect of this business is much more difficult than getting your work published!

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

A.     I’ve recently finished the research for my third novel in The EQUITY Series called EQUITY of LIFE. This will probably be my most challenging book to write and don’t anticipate having a finished manuscript until a year from now. Given the rigorous editing process my books seem to go through, I would be thrilled (no pun intended) to see this released by mid-year 2015.

Q: What’s your favorite place to hang out online?

A.     I guess I’m a bit “old-school” and have had to force myself to spend a certain amount of time every day promoting my books via social media. You’ll find me on the classic sites; Twitter, LinkedIN, Facebook (Ugh!) and my Blog site.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

A.     That storytelling is an important element of everything we do, and should be a valuable component of who we are. It’s an art that needs to be practiced and perfected over time. As an entrepreneur, business-owner, or manager, the ability to tell your story can mean the difference between success and failure. It’s also an art that can help you in your personal relationships and is just as important as the art of being a good listener.
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

A.     As stated in this book… I think it is important that we all understand and appreciate the value of this art so that we can revive and continue to promote it to ensure that entrepreneurism continues to expand throughout our country.


No comments

Powered by Blogger.