Interview with Amelia Ford, author of 'Tagan's Child'



Amelia Ford lives in Kent, UK with her husband, three children and a variety of four legged and feathered friends.  Tagan's Child is her debut novel.  She is working on her second novel due to be released later this year.
For More Information
About the Book:

“His terminology struck me as odd and then I realised he was talking about Toby. I snatched my hand from his and the hairs on the back of my neck stood
up like the hackles on a dog. The unease I felt when I first saw him returned…” 

The day after the first anniversary of her sister’s death, twenty six year old Sophie McAllister is paid an unexpected visit from a handsome stranger who delivers some disturbing news about her eight year old nephew and ward. Just when Sophie thought her life was getting back on track, she is forced to put her trust in a man with an extraordinary secret. She begins a perilous journey that not only threatens everything she holds dear, but also challenges her innermost fears. Does Sophie have the courage to defy her enemies, face her fears and open her heart to a man who promises a future that is out of this world? 

A captivating love story about one woman’s struggle to protect, let go and love. 

For More Information

  • Tagan’s Child is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.
Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us at the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

I'm a sucker for a romance but it has to have a good storyline, strong characters and have that page-turning quality.  About three years ago I was struggling to find something that fit this bill, so I decided to have a go at writing the kind of book I like to read.  I was teaching at the time and although I had written academic stuff it was my first foray into fiction.  Little did I know that I was about to embark on the most exciting, addictive and satisfying journey, the likes of which cannot be found in any kind of travel brochure! I soon learnt that by exploring my imagination anything was possible.  It was a huge turning-point in my life, Tagan's Child was born and I was hooked!

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

I loved every second of writing this book, what was difficult was dealing with the self-doubt.  Would it be any good? Would anyone want to read it? Was I good enough as a writer? I gradually pushed these worries to the side.  This story was begging to be written and I decided I would write it and worry about all of that later.  And so I wrote.  It was all I could do to get up in the morning and not switch on my laptop, my children needed there breakfast right?  Right.  So I fed my kids, got them to school and then wrote until I needed to pick them up and then once they were in bed I wrote some more.  But, what about housework? I hear you ask.  All I can say, is I have a very understanding husband.  My advice to other writers is, just write.  The more you write the more you learn.  Oh yes, and read.  You can learn so much from other writers.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

I self-published because I didn't want to be tied to deadlines and I wanted control of my book.  Am I a control freak? Probably.

Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

Getting your book out there is hard, hard work.  When you are a first time, self-published author, there is no such thing as an overnight success.

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

I'm currently working on the sequel to Tagan's Child called Tagan's Legacy and once that's finished I shall finish another story I have started.

Q: What’s your favorite place to hang out online?

Facebook.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

Don't dwell on the past or the future, just live the day.  And to coin a Beatles song, all you need is love.
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

These aren't my words but they resonate with me. 'The magic is within you, there ain't no crystal ball.' – Dolly Parton.  Wise Dolly…sigh J

All the best.

Amelia Ford x

No comments

Powered by Blogger.