The Writing Life with Horror/Sci-Fi Author G.A. Minton

A native of Texas, G.A. Minton received his B.A. from the University of Texas at Austin and his M.D. from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, where he completed both his General Surgery Residency and Head and Neck Surgery Residency. An ardent fan of horror and science fiction his entire life, Minton developed a passion for writing amid highly unusual circumstances. Several years ago, Minton was rear-ended by a drunk driver and suffered a traumatic closed-head injury.  Following numerous visits to the neurologist, a slew of neurological testing and taking Aricept, a medication used to help patients with Alzheimer’s, G.A. slowly regained his mental capabilities.  But something was very different:  he now had an overwhelming passion to write a tale of horror.  Trisomy XXI is the result.  G.A. Minton lives in Texas. 

What’s inside the mind of a horror/science fiction author?
That’s a hard question to answer, considering that my writing career only began a few years ago, after I was rear-ended by a drunk driver, resulting in a closed-head injury that temporarily left me with memory loss and the inability to communicate normally with others. In my case though, as my brain slowly healed itself, one could surmise that the damaged neurons in my frontal cortex rearranged themselves into a different configuration, thereby enhancing the creative elements in my brain. Who knows? Stranger things have happened! I do confess to having a vivid imagination, especially when it comes to conceptualizing anything that has to do with the dark side. As far back as I can remember, I have always been an ardent fan of horror and science fiction.

What is so great about being an author?
Just being able to put your thoughts down on paper, creating an entertaining story that can both be shared and enjoyed by others, will give you an adrenaline rush that no amusement park ride can even come close to. To me, that is what’s great about being an author!

When do you hate it?
Fortunately for me, I love creative writing and could never imagine myself hating it. If that did ever happen to me (God forbid), then I would probably stop composing.

What is a regular writing day like for you?
I write whenever I can. Since I do have a day job, I usually write in the evenings during the week, and in the mornings and nights on the weekend. I have never suffered from “writer’s block,” so fortunately, I am able to write whenever I want. A pen and piece of paper always lie receptively on my bedside tabletop, ready and willing to transmit any epiphanies that awaken me during the night!

Do you think authors have big egos? Do you?
I’m sure that some authors, just like other people, possess delusions of grandeur. Narcissism is a personality disorder, and you might be surprised at the number of people who suffer from this behavior deficit. As both an author and physician/surgeon with an IQ of 161, I am always humbled by my fellow humans and the amazing things that they have accomplished in life. I am far from perfect, so I do my best to follow two important Golden Rules from the Bible; “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” and “Judge not lest ye be judged.”  

How do you handle negative reviews?
Even though I may not like negative reviews, I try to learn from them, especially if they’re in the form of constructive criticism. If a negative review helps me to become a better writer, then I would welcome it. As an author, you can’t wear your feelings on your shoulders—everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it differs from yours.

How do you handle positive reviews?
I focus on what the reviewer liked, so that I can be sure to incorporate the “positives” into my other writings.

What is the usual response when you tell a new acquaintance that you’re an author?
Most people are impressed that you were able to write an entire novel, and wish to know what genre(s) you write in, and if your work is fiction or nonfiction.

What do you do on those days you don’t feel like writing? Do you force it or take a break?
If I don’t feel like writing, which is rare and usually because I am sick, then I take a break and do something else.

Any writing quirks?
Since I am a perfectionist, and a little obsessive-compulsive to boot (as most physicians are), after I complete a chapter in my novel, I go back completely through it and make any needed revisions before continuing on to write the next chapter.

What would you do if people around you didn’t take your writing seriously or see it as a hobby?
That would not bother me in the least. I consider myself an author, with a passion for writing that is taken very seriously. I learned a long time ago that you can’t please all of the people all of the time!

Some authors seem to have a love-hate relationship to writing. Can you relate?
I do understand the love-hate relationship thing, but I haven’t experienced it. I love to write, and fortunately for me, it comes quite easily. I am able to pen my novels freestyle, almost in a stream of consciousness, relying on no outlines, formats, diagrams, or templates for assistance—the narrative is able to flow freely from my imagination, ending up with a storyline that contains an ordered sequence of events. To me, it’s a creative art form, much like painting—each stroke of the brush is analogous to writing a sentence. When the artist has delivered enough brushstrokes to the canvas, a beautiful painting is created, similar to an author penning a given number of sentences together to produce a thrilling novel. 

Do you think success as an author must be linked to money?
Absolutely not! Authors, like all artists, should perform their craft because they have a passion for it, and not just for the money. Edgar Allan Poe wasn’t recognized as a great poet and horror author until after his death. Unfortunately, he died homeless and destitute, the exact cause of his death still unknown to this day.

What has writing taught you?
Writing has allowed me to connect with others through my stories, hopefully stirring up those emotions that will bring excitement and entertainment to all of my readers. Writing also gives me peace of mind, a sense of accomplishment, and teaches me patience—a necessity for any author who wishes to write well. An author must always remember that “The pen is mightier than the sword!”

Leave us with some words of wisdom.
Quotes by G.A. Minton:
“Words give you power, so use them wisely.”
“Fear of the unknown is a horror writer’s best friend.”

“Try to live your life in the present and not in the past.” 

/////////////////////////////////////

Title: TRISOMY XXI
Genre: Horror/Sci-fi/Mystery
Author: G.A. Minton
Publisher: World Castle Publishing
Purchase links:
http://amzn.com/B01D3OSZ38 for eBook at Amazon
http://amzn.com/1629894443 for Paperback at Amazon
http://www.worldcastlepublishing.com/author_g_a_minton.html for Paperback and eBook at World Castle Publishing website    
https://readersfavorite.com/book-review/trisomy-xxi for 5-Star Reviews at Readers’ Favorite


About the Book:

Sixteen-year-old Joshua Allen was born with an extra chromosome—a genetic aberration known as Trisomy XXI, or Down Syndrome.  A serious accident leaves the mentally-challenged adolescent in a coma at the hospital, where he receives a mysterious injection that endows him with supernatural powers.

The transformed teen is linked to a string of bizarre, unexplained deaths in town that have both the sheriff and the coroner baffled. A ghastly creature from another planet lands on Earth and begins its hunt for the teenager—viciously slaughtering anyone in its path in order to complete its deadly mission.

The salvation of an entire race of aliens is in the balance, as Joshua and his friends are thrown into a horrific life-and-death struggle with the seemingly indestructible extraterrestrial being.
 
TRISOMY XXI provides an epicurean feast of horror, science fiction, and mystery—all seasoned with a pinch of humor that will satiate the appetite of even the most gourmet of readers. If the likes of Stephen King, Clive Barker, and Michael Crichton were ever to have collectively penned a spine-tingling tale of horror, this would be it!

Delivering a roller-coaster ride full of thrills for its unsuspecting audience, TRISOMY XXI will intrigue every intelligent reader with its alluring array of unforeseen twists and turns. Packed with tension and excitement, this chimeric version of Alien meets The Thing is a powerful story that is guaranteed to capture your immediate attention. You won’t be able to put this book down!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.