A Bookish Conversation with S.P. Aruna, author of 'Girl Within Girl'



Half French, half Khmer (Cambodian), I'm a woman whose head is filled with fantasies and intriguing stories, and who wants to share them with others.

S.P. Aruna’s latest book is the erotic thriller, Girl Within Girl: An Erotic Thriller: Book 1: Unraveling.

Visit the author on Facebook.

About the Book:

Katrina is never alone. She is bound to others inside her, tighter than any Siamese twins could ever be: Cherry, the freewheeling photojournalist, Anisa, the covert spy-assassin, and others as yet unknown, all sharing her body and mind as she goes about her work in a psychiatric hospital. But she
is starting to unravel, and her sole hope is the handsome Dr. Sean Paisley, the only one who can make her whole again.

Girl Within Girl is a dark erotic thriller that wanders through a sensual maze of mind control and torture.

For More Information

  • Girl Within Girl is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us at the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

I came across a book written in the 1970's, The Control of Candy Jones, by Donald Bain, a fascinating true story of a beautiful pin-up model who later discovered (while under hypnosis) that she had been hypno-programmed to act as a spy for the CIA. Strange as this tale may seem, it was so convincingly written that it lead me to do further research, and lo and behold, the CIA actually had a mind control program called MKULTRA, where subjects were hypnotized, given hallucinatory drugs, and were tortured in order to fracture their personalities. Although this plot was used in the 1959 novel The Manchurian Candidate and the two film versions that followed, I thought to myself that this would make a great plot for a work of erotica.

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

Peace and quiet, and having time alone are essential ingredients for me to get ideas, but these conditions are not so easily met, especially if you're married. Finding a time where I would not be distracted was the hardest challenge I faced. 

As for other writers, I'm hesitant to give tips. I write my stories on the fly, letting the story and characters take on a life of their own. Others might outline the book before they even start. In any case, for fiction, sharp, crisp dialogue is crucial.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

Because my novel was not mainstream, but a sub-genre of erotica, or I might say, X-rated fiction, I decided that the easiest way to get published in the shortest amount of time was to self-publish. There was no need for an agent to take time to decide if s/he could sell it to a publishing house. I self-published using a service called BookBaby. They handle everything from formatting to distribution.


Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

Not yet. I think the surprises are still ahead. Or maybe disappointment if the novel is not well received.

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

I'm currently writing Book Two of the series, Healing, and my plan is to have it released in February of 2017. I envision three books in the series Girl Within Girl and after that I'll go on to something else.

Q: What’s one fact about your book that would surprise people?

That there actually was a program of mind control, and part of that project was to see if they could create multiple personalities that would not have any memory of what each personality did. This was done in an attempt to create the perfect spy who would not reveal secrets; in other words, the Manchurian Candidate is a fact.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

One objective I had was to make people aware that mind control does exist. I guess the other goal I had was to write an erotic novel that had a strong plot as well as hot sexy passages.
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

If anyone would like to know more about me, they can check out my Facebook author page, though I have to warn people that some things I post are explicitly sexy. I believe that our sexuality is still a mystery to us and I try to explore it using that page as a platform. Other than that, I wish everyone a good day.


No comments

Powered by Blogger.